Frequently Asked Questions
Below are Q & amp; A on Critter as a tool, company. Looking for help using Critter? Click here for usage Q & A.
What is Critter?
A:Critter is a cross-platform game and recording tool for building emotional resilience, to live happier.
A:If you’re new - welcome! The best way to start is to jump right in, where you'll get a tutorial from the inside. We've purposely created an easy-to-use, intuitive game, with plenty of instructions and reminders along the way.
A:Oh, journals and spreadsheets are wonderful, we love them tool! There are 3 main benefits to using Critter in addition to these things:
- Interactivity: The information you log into Critter is kept in a secure, private (for your eyes only!) database, giving you the ability to pull, analyze and quantify your personal growth data at any time. Plus, Critter was built with email and app reminders in-mind. Your notebook may not be able to remind you to think about what you’re grateful for or give you prompts for daily victories, but Critter sure can. :)
- Leveraging Social Power: Critter is a community. You can sign up with real-world friends, or form relationships through the app. Make teams and challenge one another to reach daily goals, use our forums to discuss issues or ask questions to the community, or simply leave a note for a friend who needs a smile. We believe that the tribe aspect of Critter provides the encouragement many members desire in their growth goals.
- The FUN aspect: Critter was specifically and carefully designed with game-like features to make the "work" parts of personal growth fun and exciting. We know that learning new habits is hard work, but it’s also possible to laugh and smile and have little moments of daily “feel good” along the way, and Critter was made to help with that.
Critter Version 2
A:Great question! And don’t worry - our makeover is much more in function than in spirit. We’re still the fun-loving, emotion-growing, data-developing Critter you’ve always known.
Over the past couple of years, we’ve watched the ways users have interacted with the app, we’ve looked at the features that worked for them and the features that didn’t jive, and we came to one big conclusion - the ideas behind Critter are great, but the function needed to be more cohesive. And that’s exactly what you’ll find in V2. You can still record your mood, your gratitudes, your daily thoughts and habits and victories, but now, all of these features work together with a game element toward a greater goal, both within the game, and outside of it.
In more concrete terms, for Version 2, we made Critter into an emotional gym, where the app’s activities are represented as daily exercises for the mind. The more exercises you do, the more your garden grows. The more your garden grows, the more parts you collect for your own, unique e-machine.
A:Another great question! Wow, you’re on a roll! The e-machine is short for “equanimity machine.” It has a great backstory in the Critter-verse that you’ll learn about, but it has real-world applications as well
As you continue to use and grow through personal perseverance and Critter interactions, it’s our hope that you’ll be on your way to a more emotionally fulfilled you. And while there’s no “end-goal” with Critter, per se (the tool works for anyone at any stage of personal growth), we do believe that people who embrace self-love, gratitude and personal introspection are on the road to a more equanimous, or calm and even-keeled, emotional state.
A:The garden is in-Critter output of all your hard work. In the real world, you’ll see real-world results. Your emotional garden will grow. In the Critter world (Planet 7!), your Critter garden grows.
A:Hey, this is your journey. We’re just the app designers. We do encourage you to spend a few weeks testing out the different features of your Critter gym. Often, an area of growth that we’re initially resistant to may be one we need to work on the most! Once you’ve learned the ins and outs of the app, we fully encourage you to adapt the experience to your personal growth journey.
Some people, we find, spend much of their time on the social areas of the site, building community. Others heavily use the Victory Laps and Daily Routines and use Critter as a way to develop healthy habits. Some see it as an online journal, with tons of bonus features! There is no one “right” way to use Critter - as long as you’re growing, we’re happy.
- Pick a username that you don't use for anything else and does not contain identifying information (don't include your name, birthdate, etc)
- Don't offer any identifying information in the forum.
- Only friend people you know in person. Friends can see your profile. This includes what you and others write on your wall, what you specify in your 'About Me' section, what your Critter looks like, your login streak, your activities in the game, and the recording activities you choose to share.
The Critter Company
For the Press
Have a question that isn't answered here? Please drop us a line! Thank you!